As the Regional Governing Body of cross country skiing in the Midwest, the Central Cross Country Ski Association is responsible for overseeing a series of qualifying events for the Junior National Nordic Ski Championships which are held yearly.
The Midwest Junior National Team athletes will be selected based on the results of the Junior National Qualifier (JNQ) races. The distance and discipline of the JNQs will reflect the format of the Junior National Nordic Ski Championship races. While qualifying for Junior Nationals may be the goal of most athletes, the objective of the JNQs is to encourage young athletes to enjoy cross country skiing and develop their skills. JNQ events mix Olympic-style competition with elements of learning and fun for all levels - from beginner racers to those with Olympic aspirations.
2016-2017 RACE SCHEDULE
VENUE / Michigan Tech TrailsDecember 17-18, 2016 / Houghton, MI
VENUE / Birkie TrailheadJanuary 21-22, 2017 / Cable, WI
VENUE / Theodore Wirth ParkFebruary 18-19, 2017 / Minneapolis, MN
POINTS SELECTION CRETERIAEveryone that is interested in possibly making the Midwest Junior National Team should read over the qualification rules (page 6). There are differences between the different age groups of what races count towards qualification, how many athletes qualify from each group, etc. Please be aware of these differences.
View Race Results and Standings | Age Classifications
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOWIn order to score points to qualify for Junior National Nordic Ski Championships, you must be a current CXC Member. Please be sure to have your membership up to date before the first competition.
CXC/USSA Competitor Membership
Become/Renew a Member
CXC/USSA NRL Competitor Membership
- Inclusion on the USSA National Ranking List
- Athlete points profile and history
- Ability to register for FIS and participate in FIS events (where qualified)
- Ability/Needed to compete at US Nationals, Junior Nationals, SuperTour, COC, WC events
- USSA membership card
- USSA Excellence newsletter
After October 15th, 2016 anyone who has previously held a CXC/USSA NRL Competitor Membership license, will have a $25 late fee implemented towards their membership.
Become/Renew a Member
2017 JUNIOR NATIONAL NORDIC SKI CHAMPIONSHIPS
The cream of the crop of American junior Nordic ski racers is coming to Lake Placid, NY from March 3-11 for the 2017 USSA Cross Country Ski Junior National Champinships. Fans will be treated to a glimpse of the future of Team USA as the best athletes under the age of 20 face off at historic Lake Placid Olympic Sports Complex.
GENERAL PARTICIPATION TIPS
Whether you are new to the Junior National Qualifying (JNQ) races or a returning racer, here are some tips to help you feel comfortable with the process.
- Registration for JNQ races typically closes on the Tuesday before the race. Plan your races and register early.
- Give yourself the highest opportunity to earn a place on the Midwest team, and increase your elite racing experience, by participating in all the races if possible.
- If you are on a school team, good communication with your coach is essential. Work together to establish a plan that supports both your school team and your JNQ races.
- The Midwest team will be named after the final race in the JNQ series.
- Please be prepared to pay for the full cost of the US Junior National Nordic Ski Championships (JN) trip at the team naming that takes place after the final JNQ race if you are selected for the team. For instance, JN trip to Truckee (CA) in 2015 was $2,150 per Midwest team member. The required Midwest team uniform could be purchased new or borrowed/bought from a former team member if available.
- Junior National team members must have a CXC/USSA membership. Serious competitors should not wait until February to do this.
- Keep a close watch on the CXC website as race and JN trip details can change rapidly. The website will also be your first source for info on summer camps and clinics.
Have questions? Get in touch!