As the Regional Governing Body of cross country skiing in the Midwest, the Central Cross Country Ski Association is responsible for overseeing a series of qualifying events for the Junior National (JN) Nordic Ski Championships which are held yearly. The Midwest Junior National Team athletes will be selected based on the results of the Junior National Qualifier (JNQ) races. The distance and discipline of the JNQs will reflect the format of the JN Championship races. While qualifying for JNs may be the goal of most athletes, the objective of the JNQs is to encourage young athletes to enjoy cross country skiing and develop their skills. JNQ events mix Olympic-style competition with elements of learning and fun for all levels - from beginner racers to those with Olympic aspirations.
Midwest Junior National Qualifier (JNQ) Schedule
View Schedule | What You Need to Know | Look Up Your CXC License # | NEW! Age Group Classifications
Midwest Junior National Team | Results and Standings | Points Selection Criteria
2015 Junior National Nordic Ski ChampionshipsMarch 8-14
The biggest Junior Cross Country event in North America is returning to the ASC Training Center and Far West . This annual National Championships will draw 400+ of the very best 14-19 year old skiers for a week of hard fought competition on the challenging ASC Training Center courses.
Through a tough qualifying process each of the 10 USSA divisions will bring their very best to the start line at ASCTC. This is truly a National Championships in every sense and the proving grounds for future Olympians.
General Participation Tips
Whether you are new to the Junior National Qualifying (JNQ) races or a returning racer, here are some tips to help you feel comfortable with the process.
- Registration for JNQ races typically closes on the Tuesday before the race. Plan your races and register early.
- Give yourself the highest opportunity to earn a place on the Midwest team, and increase your elite racing experience, by participating in all the races if possible.
- If you are on a school team, good communication with your coach is essential. Work together to establish a plan that supports both your school team and your JNQ races.
- The Midwest team will be named after the final race in the JNQ series.
- Be prepared to pay for the full cost of the US Junior National Championships (JN) trip shortly after the final JNQ race if you are selected for the team. For instance, JN trip to Utah in 2007 was $2,100 per Midwest team member. The required Midwest team uniform could be purchased new or borrowed/bought from a former team member if available.
- Junior National team members must have a USSA membership as well as a CXC membership. Serious competitors should not wait until February to do this.
- Keep a close watch on the CXC website as race and JN trip details can change rapidly. The website will also be your first source for info on summer camps and clinics.