Whether you are new to the Junior National Qualifying (JNQ) races or a returning racer, here are some tips to help you feel comfortable with the process.
- Registration for JNQ races typically closes on the Tuesday before the race. Plan your races and register early.
- Give yourself the highest opportunity to earn a place on the Midwest team, and increase your elite racing experience, by participating in all the races if possible.
- If you are on a school team, good communication with your coach is essential. Work together to establish a plan that supports both your school team and your JNQ races.
- The Midwest team will be named after the final race in the JNQ series.
- Be prepared to pay for the full cost of the US Junior National Championships (JN) trip shortly after the final JNQ race if you are selected for the team. For instance, JN trip to Utah in 2007 was $2,100 per Midwest team member. The required Midwest team uniform could be purchased new or borrowed/bought from a former team member if available.
- Junior National team members must have a USSA membership as well as a CXC membership. Serious competitors should not wait until February to do this.
- Keep a close watch on the CXC website as race and JN trip details can change rapidly. The website will also be your first source for info on summer camps and clinics.
Finally, enjoy the experience of elite racing! The JNQ races and Junior Nationals trip are opportunities to meet and ski with the finest skiers in the Midwest and the country. Itís exciting, motivating and really fun.