CXC JUNIOR CUP
As the Regional Governing Body of cross country skiing in the Central Region, the Central Cross Country Skiing is responsible for overseeing the CXC Junior Cup, a series of qualifying events for the Junior National Nordic Ski Championships which are held yearly.
The objective of the CXC Junior Cup events is to encourage young athletes in the U16, U18, and U20 age divisions to enjoy cross country skiing and develop their skills, whether they are new to the sport High School skiers, aspiring junior skier who hope to compete at the top national and international levels, or are somewhere in between. Events mix Olympic-style competition with elements of learning and fun for all levels - from beginner racers to those with International experience.
Qualifying for a Division's Junior National Team or U16 Championships Team will also be a goal for many CXC Junior Cup athletes, and can be done at CXC Junior Cup Race events that are Junior National Qualifiers (JNQ) where the best four of six races will be scored. To score points for the CXC Junior Cup and JNQ ranking list, you will need a Competitor or NRL Competitor membership.
The Junior National Team athletes for each Division will be selected based on the results of the CXC Junior Cup qualifier races in their division. The distance and discipline of the races will reflect the format of the Junior National Nordic Ski Championships races.
2017-2018 RACE SCHEDULE
CXC JUNIOR CUP KICK OFF / Michigan Tech Trails, Houghton (MI)* Note: This event is a Super JNQ and results will be scored to both the Midwest and Great Lakes points lists.
GITCHI GAMI GAMES / Birkie Trailhead, Cable (WI)* Note: This event is a Super JNQ and results will be scored to both the Midwest and Great Lakes points lists.
CXC JUNIOR CUP GREAT LAKES DIVISION FINALE
* Note: This event is a Great Lakes only JNQ and results will be scored only to the Great Lakes points lists.
Al Quaal Recreation Area, Ishpeming (MI)
FEBRUARY 4: Classic Individual Start
CXC JUNIOR CUP MIDWEST DIVISION FINALE
* Note: This event is a Midwest only JNQ and results will be scored only to the Midwest points lists.
Mt. Itasca Winter Sports Center, Coleraine (MN)
POINTS SELECTION CRITERIAEveryone that is interested in possibly making a Junior National or U16 Team should read over the qualification rules (page 7). There are differences between the different age groups: what races count towards qualification, how many athletes qualify from each group, etc. Please be aware of these differences.
View Race Results and Standings | Age Classifications
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOWIn order to score points to qualify for Junior National Nordic Ski Championships, you must be a current CXC member. Please be sure to have your membership up to date before the first competition.
Seeding in CXC Cup
Become/Renew a Member
NRL Competitor Membership
- Inclusion on the U.S. Ski & Snowboard National Ranking List
- Athlete points profile and history
- Ability to register for FIS and participate in FIS events (where qualified)
- Ability/Needed to compete at US Nationals, Junior Nationals, SuperTour, COC, WC events
- U.S. Ski & Snowboard membership card
- U.S. Ski & Snowboard Excellence newsletter
After October 15th anyone who has previously held an NRL Competitor Membership license, will have a $25 late fee implemented towards their membership.
Become/Renew a Member
2018 JUNIOR NATIONAL NORDIC SKI CHAMPIONSHIPS
The cream of the crop of American junior Nordic ski racers is coming to Midway City, UT from March 4-11 for the 2018 USSA Cross Country Ski Junior National Champinships. Fans will be treated to a glimpse of the future of Team USA as the best athletes under the age of 20 face off at historic Soldier Hollow.
GENERAL PARTICIPATION TIPS
Whether you are new to the CXC Junior Cup races or a returning racer, here are some tips to help you feel comfortable with the process.
- Registration for races typically closes on the Tuesday before the race. Plan your races and register early.
- Give yourself the highest opportunity to earn a place on the Midwest team, and increase your racing experience by participating in all the races if possible.
- If you are on a school team, good communication with your coach is essential. Work together to establish a plan that supports both your school team and your CXC Junior Cup races.
- The Midwest team will be named after the final race in the CXC Junior Cup series.
- Please be prepared to pay for the full cost of the US Junior National Nordic Ski Championships (JN) trip at the team naming that takes place after the final CXC Junior Cup race if you are selected for the team. For instance, JN trip to Truckee (CA) in 2015 was $2,150 per Midwest team member. The required Midwest team uniform could be purchased new or borrowed/bought from a former team member if available.
- Junior National team members must have a Competitor Membership. Serious competitors should not wait until February to do this.
- Keep a close watch on the CXC website as race and JN trip details can change rapidly. The website will also be your first source for info on summer camps and clinics.
Have questions? Get in touch!